I signed up to coach my daughters’ softball team this year and just wrapped up practice #1 over the weekend. This is 8U coach-pitch rec softball, with some players who are brand new and others who have played for several years. The first practice was an hour long, and my objective was to evaluate the players to understand their skill levels and begin to assess what we’ll need to work on in preparation for the season.
- 00-05 minutes – Introductions and team rules
- Rule #1 – listen
- Rule #2 – hustle
- 05-15 minutes – Baserunning
- Home to first to run through the bag
- Home to second to learn how to round first base on an extra base hit
- 15-18 minutes – Water Break
- 18-50 minutes – Stations
- Hitting: players hit 15-20 balls (plastic balls) off a tee
- Throwing: players stood by a cone on the foul line, and threw past a cone 50 or so feet in front of them in fair territory
- Emphasis on proper footwork, throwing hard, and aiming for a target
- Fielding: groundballs, throwing the ball bag to the coach
- Emphasis: “Alligator” technique, quick release of the ball to throw back to the coach
- 50-55 minutes
- “Tour” of the defensive positions
- 55-60 minutes – Relay race
- half the team started at home plate, the other at second base
All in all I think practice went OK; thinking back the throwing station could have been better.
Looking forward to practice #2 in a couple days!